Hey y’all! Welcome to a new season of “Not Your Daddy’s Recap.” If it’s your first time know we do things a bit differently here. I’ll bring you the highlights and whatever else grabs my frenetic attention. Grab a seat and settle in, this is a long one!
When they coined the phrase “A perfect day for baseball” they obviously meant today because you could not ask for a better day. It’s sunny and 73 degrees with a slight wind toward the third baseline. Today is day 1 of the Frisco classic and we are going to enjoy the Oklahoma Sooners (4-3) and the Arizona Wildcats (6-2). On the mound for the Sooners is RHP Chase Silseth. Slinging for the Wildcats is LHP Braden Carmichael. The Sooners are the home team.
After two fly outs, Arizona DH Ryan Holgate earns a walk. Carmichael strikes out Blake Paugh on a nasty pitch to get OU out of the inning.
After a fly out by Peyton Graham, DH Jimmy Crooks drops a double down the third baseline. Silseth walks Tyler Hardman and there are two on, one out. Connor McKenna knocks a double past the second baseman and Crooks scores while Hardman advances to third. Hardman tags on a Muniz fly to right and it’s 2-0 Oklahoma. The crowd is getting feisty about the calls at home plate. After Tredaway fouls a ball to deep left there’s a conference between the officials. Not sure what’s going on but I don’t think they are trading instant pot recipes. A passed ball on a walk to Tredaway gets Muniz to third. Silseth just doesn’t have his stuff today and it’s getting painful. Squires strikes out to end the inning.
End of one: 2-0 OU.
Speaking of instant pot recipes, here’s a good one for Mac and Cheese:
1 pound elbow macaroni
One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 cups shredded mild or medium Cheddar
- Combine the macaroni, 4 cups water and 1 tablespoon salt in a 6- or 8-quart Instant Pot. Set to pressure cook on high for 4 minutes.
- After the pressure cook cycle is complete, quick release and wait until the cycle is complete. Being careful of any remaining steam, unlock and remove the lid and switch to the low saute setting.
- Stir in the evaporated milk, butter and 1/4 cup water. Then add the Cheddar, a little at time, while constantly stirring, until the cheese is completely melted. Serve hot.
I keep thinking something feels so different about the park and realize it’s the sound of the ball off metal bats instead of wood. It takes a bit of getting used to. But man baseball is back and it feels so good.
Boussiere drops one to center for a single. Berry hits one of the park and the game is tied. Kari tags from third on a Bingham fly out and Arizona takes the lead.
Zaragoza bunt gets Mitchell to second. Graham double brings him home to tie the game. And we have what I live for, a collision at home plate. Umpire conference again will bring you another instant pot recipe! Hardman strikes out to end the inning.
End of two: 3-3 tie.
Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs
When making Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs, just remember to layer the ingredients in the pot and don’t stir it until after pressure cooking. This helps keep things from sticking, and ensures that the noodles get cooked.
Here is how to make Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs:
Add frozen meatballs, then spaghetti in a random pattern. Pour in water or broth. Cover noodles in sauce. Cook 9 minutes on High Pressure. Quick release.
Paugh hits a pretty one to the left field corner for a double. But Berry can’t bring him home.
McKenna hits a homerun and OU pulls out to the lead. Muniz gets a gorgeous double past third base. Tredaway singles to bring Muniz home. Squires singles and we have runners on first and second. Mitchell lays a bunt for bases loaded and no one out. Silseth is feeling the pressure. Graham sacrifices to bring in the run. Crooks doubles off the first baseline to bring in two. Big inning for OU! Hardman doubles and it brings in Crooks. I’m starting to feel sorry for Silseth and I think his coach does too because there’s a conference on the mound. That means another instant pot recipe for you! They get out of the inning finally.
Rootbeer Float Cupcakes:
1/2 box moist vanilla cake mix 15.5-ounce
6 ounces root beer 1⁄2 can
2 cups Water
Vanilla Buttercream Ingredients
1 cup confectioners’ sugar1
/3 cup unsalted butter softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon whole milk
- Grease twelve silicone cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine cake mix and root beer. Spoon mixture into cupcake liners.
- Add water to the Instant Pot and insert steam rack. Place six cupcake liners on steam rack. Lock lid.
- Press the Manual or Pressure Cook button and adjust time to 9 minutes. When timer beeps, quick-release pressure until float valve drops. Unlock lid. Transfer cupcakes to a cooling rack. Repeat cooking process with remaining six cupcake liners.
- To make buttercream, cream together vanilla buttercream ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. If buttercream is too loose, add a little more confectioners’ sugar. If buttercream is too thick, add a little more milk.
- Let cupcakes cool for at least 30 minutes until they reach room temperature, then spread buttercream on cooled cupcakes. Serve.
End of three- 9-3 OU.
After a walk, Godman replaces Carmichael on the mound. Hit batter loads the bases with one out. Holgate gets a run home. Paugh doubles for two more runs. OU is out of the inning after allowing 4 runs.
Silseth pitches a 1-2-3 inning to stop OU.
End of four and it’s 9-7 OU
Mound conference for Godman with one on earns you another recipe! Kato drops it into right center to score the runner. Bingham home run brings two runs and a lead for Arizona. Another mound conference but don’t be greedy, you’re already getting your recipe! Luke Taggart to pitch now. Williams smacks a double. Boss single gets him to third and they are on the corners with one out. Holgate sacrifice and a run scores.
Silseth strikes out Mitchell then walks Zaragoza. Vannelle joins the game. He’s a Senior RHP. Walk to Crooks. Two outs and two on. Hardman doubles and both score. Tie game again. McKenna singles and runners are on the corners.
End of five and it’s a tie game, 11-11
Classic Pot Roast
1 3 lb chuck roast trimmed and cut into thirds
1 cup diced onions
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups pearl onions or 1 white onion coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped long white potatoes
2 pieces stalks of celery cut into large
1 cup quartered mushrooms
instant pot recipes, pot roast, pressure cooker
Place the roast in the Instant Pot.
In a blender, combine the diced onions, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and broth. Blend until smooth. Pour the sauce over the roast.
Secure the lid on the pot. Close the pressure-release valve. Select MANUAL and set the pot at HIGH pressure for 15 minutes. At the end of the cooking time, use a quick release to depressurize.
Open the lid, and stir in the carrots, pearl onions, potatoes, celery, and mushrooms. Secure the lid on the pot. Close the pressure-release valve. Select MANUAL and set the pot at HIGH pressure for 4 minutes. At the end of the cooking time, allow the pot to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes, then release any remaining pressure.
Carefully transfer the roast to a bowl and coarsely shred it, then transfer onto a serving platter. Arrange the vegetables around the meat.
Serve the pot liquid as a sauce on the side.
Boissiere single to right to start the inning for Arizona. Before you know it the bases are loaded on Taggart with two outs. Can he pitch his way out of this? Nope, he walks one home. A passed ball scores another. They get out of the inning on a fly out.
Three up and three down for Vannelle.
Arizona leads 13-11.
Ramos joins the game to pitch for OU. He issues a walk to Holgate. Paugh with a triple to send him home. I got distracted (frenetic attention) and there’s a runner on first as well. Sacrifice fly scores Paugh. Kato bomb to center scores Boissiere. Mound conference means you get another instant pot recipe! Now pitching for OU is Atwood. He gets strike three on Paugh but the passed ball gets Paugh to first anyway, and Kato to third. A walk to Williams loads the bases with one out. Arizona scores another. And we then two more. This is Arizona’s inning.
Crooks singles and moves Graham to third: conference on the mound, let’s get cooking! Vannelle stays on the mound and issues a walk to Hardman, loading the bases. Pitching change brings in Trevor Long. Double play gets them out of the inning.
End of seven and it’s 19-11 Arizona.
1 cup canned fire-roasted tomatoes
1 tbsp chopped canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
2 Corn tortillas
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves minced
1 lb 90% lean ground beef
3 tsp Mexican red chile powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt1
tsp dried oregano
1/2 cup Water optional
shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- In a blender, combine the tomatoes, chipotle chile, and tortillas. Blend until smooth.
- Select SAUTÉ/Normal on the Instant Pot. When the pot is hot, add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, for 30 seconds. Add the ground beef and break up with a wooden spoon.
- Add the chile powder, cumin, salt, and oregano. Allow the spices to bloom, about 30 seconds. Add the blender mixture. Rinse the blender using the water, and pour that into the pot.
- Secure the lid on the pot. Close the pressure-release valve. Select MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK and set the pot at HIGH pressure for 10 minutes. At the end of the cooking time, allow the pot to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes, then release any remaining pressure.
- Stir well to combine.
- Top servings with shredded cheese, if desired.
Lodes is pitching for OU. Paugh is on first by teleportation. Boissiere gets a walk. Berry advances Paugh to third. Kato sacrifice fly scores him. Ground out to first and we move on to OU.
Long stays in the game. Tredaway singles to right. Are y’all as tired as I am: we just started hour four. I love baseball but this is a long game even for me. Walk for Squires. Umpire conference, y’all are gonna be eating good this week! Mitchell fly ball advances Tredaway and they are on the corners with two outs. Graham singles and Tredaway scores. They get out of their half of the inning allowing one run.
End of eight: 20-12 Arizona.
Grandma’s Cabbage Rolls
1 tbsp oil
2 medium onions chopped into small dice
1 can crushed tomatoes 28-ounce [828ml]
1 cup Water 236ml1
/4 cup fresh lemon juice from 1–2 lemons, 59ml
5 tbsp light brown sugar 60g
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/3 cup golden raisins 50g
1 large green apple peeled and cut into 3/4-inch (2cm) cubes
1 head Napa cabbage
1 lb ground beef
1/3 cup white rice 65g
1 large egg
1/4 cup Water 59ml
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
- Cut off the end of the cabbage and separate 17 leaves. Bring a medium or large saucepan of water to a boil on the stovetop. Place a colander over a bowl near the saucepan. Cook the leaves, about 6 at a time, for 4 minutes per batch, leaving the water boiling the entire time. Use tongs to lift the cooked leaves and place into the colander to drain. Try not to tear the leaves. Place on paper towels or a clean dishtowel to dry.
- To make the sauce, press Sauté and when the display reads “Hot,” add the oil, chopped onions, and apples. Cook for about 5 minutes, until they start to soften but not brown, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cabbage filling. Finely chop the onion by hand or in a food processor. Place into a large bowl. Add the beef, rice, egg, water, salt, and pepper, and mix well with your hands. Fan out a cabbage leaf in front of you with the stem facing you. Scoop up a handful of the meat and rice mixture, about 1/4 cup for each roll, and place at the bottom of a cabbage leaf, at the stem.
- Fold the bottom over the mixture and roll over again, and then fold the sides of the leaf toward the middle to cover the meat, and then roll up.
- When the onions and apple are cooked, add the crushed tomatoes, water, lemon juice, brown sugar, and honey and bring to a boil. Add salt and black pepper.
- Remove sauce to a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup (118ml) hot water to the inner pot and boil, and use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pot clean. Place the steam rack on top. Place one layer of rolls on the rack, one ladle of sauce, another layer of rolls and so on, pouring any remaining sauce on top. Sprinkle the golden raisins on top.
- Secure the lid, ensuring that the steam release handle is in the Sealing position. Press the Pressure Cook button and set the cooking time for 18 minutes. When the cooking time is complete, let the pot sit for 15 minutes to naturally release the pressure. Turn the valve to the Venting position to release any remaining pressure. Press Cancel and remove the lid.
Lamb is pitching. Williams works a full count to the point the umpire needs more balls, but then flies out to left center. But OU contains Arizona and it’s three up and three down.
Netz to close out the game on the mound for Arizona. Crooks walks. Hardman walks. Netz stays in. He’s struggling. He does strike out Muniz. They need one more out. Walk to Tredaway and the bases are loaded with two outs. Netz walks a run home. Strike out ends the game.
Arizona 20, OU 13. Final in four hours and forty minutes.