The Frisco RoughRiders are the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers. They play home games at Riders Field, formerly known as Dr. Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, Texas. The RoughRiders are a member of the Double-A Central League in the South Division. They have been playing ball since 2003 and have been affiliated with the Texas Rangers during this time.
Victor Rojas is the current President and General Manager of the Frisco RoughRiders. He owns the Big Fly Gear Clothing Brand.
Andy Milovich was the GM prior to Victor.
The current voice of the Frisco RoughRiders is Zach Bigley.
Mandalay Entertainment and Southwest Sports Group
We can thank Mandalay Entertainment and Sothwest Sports Group for reaching an agreement in 2001 to relocate the team. The SwampDragons were affiliated with the San Francisco Giants at the time, and were renamed to the RoughRiders after being moved to Frisco.
The Frisco RoughRiders were named after the 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry, a military unit led by future president Theodore Roosevelt in the Spanish-American war. They were nicknamed “The Rough Riders” by American newspapers at the time.
Chuck Greenberg is the current CEO and owner of the team. He purchased the team along with Scott Sonju from Mandalay Entertainment in August of 2014.
Riders Field Construction
Riders Field is a ballpark like no other. It’s construction began in 2002 and it was designed by David M. Schwarz Architectural Services and HKS Sports & Entertainment Group and is a beautiful facility.
The Lazy River
The Lazy River opened June 9, 2016 and provides fans with the experience of watching games during hot triple digit games from the River behind right field. There is also a heater so fan. It is 174 long and one lap around is around 400 feet.
The Frisco RoughRiders first home game
The RoughRiders played their first home game in front of a soldout crowd of 10,685 fans at Dr Pepper Ballpark on April 3, 2003. They lost 16-2 to the Tulsa Drillers (Dodgers).
Frisco RoughRiders Managers
Since 2003 the RoughRiders have had 8 managers. Tim Ireland was their first Manager and guided the team to a record of 154-126 during his two seasons.
- Tim Ireland: 2003-2004 (154-126)
- Darryl Kennedy: 2005-06 (130-150)
- Dave Anderson: 2007 (85-55)
- Scott Little: 2008-09 (156-124)
- Steve Buechele: 2010-13 (301-258)
- Jason Wood: 2014 (80-59)
- Joe Mikulik: 2015-2019 (311-386)
- Jared Goedert: 2021 (64-55)
Record by season
- 2003: 73-67 (2nd in Division) Lost Texas League Championship against the San Antonio Missions.
- 2004: 81-59 (1st in Division) won the Texas League Championship against the Round Rock Express.
- 2005: 58-82 (4th in Division)
- 2006: 72-68 (3rd in Division)
- 2007: 85-55 (1st in Division) Lost Division title to San Antonio Missions.
- 2008: 84-56 (1st in Division) Lost the Texas League Championship to Arkansas Travelers.
- 2009: 72-68 (2nd in Division)
- 2010: 72-67 (1st in Division) Lost Division title to Midland RockHounds.
- 2011: 79-61 (2nd in Division) Lost Division title to San Antonio Missions.
- 2012: 80-60 (2nd in Division) Lost Texas League Championship to Springfield Cardinals.
- 2013: 70-70 (3rd in Division)
- 2014: 80-59 (1st in Division) Lost Division title to Midland RockHounds.
- 2015: 60-79 (3rd in Division)
- 2016: 63-76 (3rd in Division)
- 2017: 60-80 (4th in Division)
- 2018: 60-80 (4th in Division)
- 2019: 68-71 (3rd in Division)
- 2021: 64-55 (1st in Division) Won Division title but missed post-season.
The 2020 season was canceled due to Covid-19.
Notable former players
174 former RoughRiders have made their MLB debuts, of those 109 have made their debut with the Texas Rangers.
Chris Young- Current GM of the Texas Rangers (August 24, 2004), CJ Wilson (June 10, 2005), Ian Kinsler (April 3, 2006), Elvis Andrus (April 6, 2009).
Every August the RoughRiders transform into the Frisco Corny dogs paying respect to the popular State Fair of Texas and the Fletchers Corny dog.
Copa de la Diversión
There will be 85 teams that participate in 2022 and the RoughRiders are one of them. This is a season-long event series that is designed to embrace the local Hispanic communities. This series is extremely popular with the other teams participating. The teams uniforms are expected to be revealed in March of 2022.